[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Apr 16 11:56:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 12:44:31PM +0100, Garry wrote:
> My gripe is that now we have Bitstream Vera and a decent selection of fonts
> for Linux, many apps are STILL not configured by default to find them. I
> just don't understand it. Why can't OO.org find xfs fonts at boot? This has
> got to impact any ordinary user considering switching from Windows. It's
> almost like we're sabotaging ourselves.

"We" who?  I don't use those apps and have no part in their development,
nor am I a member of any movement to persuade the masses to run Linux on
their desktops.  There is no "Us", just a huge number of people using
Free Software for different reasons, within which are some
movements/communities working to their own goals.  Many of the people
using the software place more importance on other groups of which they
are a member.

Go find the "We" who you think are or should be trying to achieve what
you want and complain to them, or join up and help them.  Don't assume
that anybody on this list is a part of that.

--
Bruce

Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards, apart from
ostriches if you punch them hard enough.