[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Apr 16 11:55:44 UTC 2004

I don't know if anyone can confirm this, but I discovered by accident
that these new-fangled apps (Mozilla specifically) don't seem to care
a jot about the X font system.  Mozilla seems to have its own
independent method of finding fonts, which means that the range of
fonts available to it is much larger than those displayed by xfontsel.
GIMP 1.2, OTOH, seems to only use the ordinary X fonts, and so the
fonts available for me when I'm playing with GIMP seems to be quite
limited.  'xterm' similarly.  This has something to do with X core
fonts vs. X RENDER extension rendered fonts I assume.  Can anyone
enlighten me?

Rich.

PTHRLIB is a library for writing small, efficient and fast servers in C.
HTTP, CGI, DBI, lightweight threads: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/pthrlib/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk