[Gllug] [ OT ] Raritan Z-series Z4200U KVM switch

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Apr 14 11:32:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:55:56AM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> John Hearns writes:
>
> >Depends what you want from commodity computing :-)
>
> Proper remote management of my hardware. That doesn't mean an intergrated
> web server on an extra card that I have to pay for. Nor an IP enabled KVM.
> But built in BIOS level access over a serial port. Ideally with the abilty
> to power cycle the machine over the same serial interface.

Some suppliers offer this on their rackmounts (e.g. Dell) but it's not
standard and usually requires their management software.  There's always
the Weasel (http://www.realweasel.com/intro.html) but it isn't cheap.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin