[Gllug] [ OT ] Raritan Z-series Z4200U KVM switch

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Apr 14 10:55:56 UTC 2004

John Hearns writes:

>Depends what you want from commodity computing :-)

Proper remote management of my hardware. That doesn't mean an intergrated
web server on an extra card that I have to pay for. Nor an IP enabled KVM.
But built in BIOS level access over a serial port. Ideally with the abilty
to power cycle the machine over the same serial interface.

>This is a good thread though. Linux has recently got a lot of the
>'enterprise level' features which have been worked towards for some time
>(I made this comment at the last GLLUG).
>Features like LVM and journalling filesystems.
>PCI hotswap is coming.
>
>What features do we think are missing?

>From the OS, very little. I'd like a proper snapshottable filesystem.
Yes, you can do this to an extent at the volume management level. But
it belongs in the filesystem as well. Implementing CARP[1] would be a
really nice thing, to give us a VRRP/HSRP workalike. Maybe some of the
IP takeover tools already do this, but I don't think it's yet at the
same level as CARP/VRRP.

Tet

[1] http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=carp&sektion=4
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk