[Gllug] OT: domain name appears on google by magic!

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 12:12:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:49:04AM -0300, Robert McKay wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 12:06:47PM +0100, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
<snip>

> Some organisations have access to the GTLD zonefiles (you can get these
> from ICANN by signing their license and paying some money.) and maybe
> some of them generate webpages automatically containing extracts of
> the data that google then indexes. I wouldn't be surprised if google
> actually did this directly itself, and certainly I think it's very
> unlikely that extract data from the zones has never been leaked to
> google in this way.

Rob,

Thanks for an expansive answer. Very helpful.

I think the ICANN one is a prime candidate! Whatever it is it seems
that google use an approach that others do not.

> finally.. you typed your domainname into google. Maybe it indexes itself? ;)

I wondered about that. If it does it hasn't yet (first tried it this
morning). I've searched for keywords that appear in my pages but
no hits, despite a hit for the top url itself. I'll try it again in
a few days and see what happens.

> There are so many ways it could have obtained your domainname it's
> probably impossible to ever know which one was responsible.

Agreed. I'm not hung up on nailing this, just curious about the
possibilities. Thanks again for your reply,

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk