[Gllug] Backup MX record

Grzegorz Piotr Jaskiewicz gj at pointblue.com.pl
Sun Apr 25 03:07:55 UTC 2004

Tethys wrote:

>Yep, sounds reasonable. A common spamming technique is to avoid the
>primary MX, because many sites don't have anti-spam/anti-virus scanning
>enabled on their non-primary MX servers. So they'll usually pick the
>server with the lowest precedence. Although it won't cut down the amount
>of spam sent through your relays, it may reduce it, and hence is worth a
>shot IMHO.

But it does get filtered on secondary ones. So there is no point here.
And having per IP filtering on secondary is a good practice. Take a look
at that, http://gj.pointblue.com.pl/fuck_spammers.sh. Primitive, but
helps me deal with spammers that are trying, brute force to send every
single email through everysingle server I have. There is exclusion list,
so customers are not bothered.

--
GJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk