[Gllug] On-call

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 19:42:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:45:07PM +0100, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> Hi, sorry for asking a work related question again.
>
> I'm a bit concerned about the on-call policy at my work. Not the official
> one really but how my manager tells me it is. Everytime I try to start a
> discussion about the on-call policy he immediately cuts me of with either
> "You're *always* on call" or "You're being paid for being on call". He
> never says anything else on the subject.
>
> He has on several occasions actually complained that my mobile phone has
> been off and that I (twice now) have failed to bring my laptop with me
> from work thus being unable to dial in and do work. I have never yet been
> a part of the on-call rota and certainly wasn't on those occasions.
>
> The official on-call policy is that we're on a rota (in my group one in
> three weeks) and our contract says that we're being paid a certian amount
> for being on-call those one in three weeks. People that are on 1-in-2 or
> 1-in-4 are paid differently and allways on-call isn't even covered.
>
> I am extremely concerned that I am on-call 24h, every day for the rest of
> my life and that I can never turn off my phone or go anywhere without my
> laptop.
> Where do I stand on this issue? Does anyone know what my rights are?

Rights might depend on what your contract says. Note also that there is the
working time directive from the EU that limits the number of hours that you
can work in a week -- without you agreeing to waive your rights (check what
you signed up to).

Tell him that in 2 weeks time you will be getting totally rat arsed with some
friends but, mindful of what he says, you will have your laptop with you
connected into your company's mission critical systems...

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk