[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Apr 19 11:19:22 UTC 2004

Nix writes:

>... and these all have fairly similar requirements! I mean, I'm willing
>to cut TeX and groff some slack: their font systems *must* be arcane,
>because they're trying to do so much with them (and because, in TeX's
>case, it wasn't originally a Unix program anyway); but mozilla and OOo
>don't need that much of font systems: so why do they all act
>differently?

But that's the whole point... they *do* need better font systems than
they currently have. But for some reason, poor typographical quality is
deemed acceptable for a word processor. I mean, OO.o doesn't even support
ligatures yet! Go figure[1].

Tet

[1] Yes, I know Word has a near monopoly, despite it's lack of ligatures
    and general apalling output quality.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk