[Gllug] On-call

gllug at minty.org gllug at minty.org
Fri Apr 30 09:23:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:45:07PM +0100, Henrik Morsing wrote:
> Everytime I try to start a discussion about the on-call policy he
> immediately cuts me of with either "You're *always* on call" or
> "You're being paid for being on call".

Another tack might be to start asking about the support process, in a "I'm just dumb, and curious to learn" sort of way.

Who's responsible for what?  During what hours?  Is there 1st/2nd line support? What's the escalation policy? Is everything mission critical around here?  What sort of time-frames for response are there on different systems? Oh, none of this is actually defined?

Then chart it (simply, **briefly**, informally) somewhere, on a wiki, in Word, on the wall...

If your boss doesn't give, ask anyone else.  You then have something on paper. Is this correct boss/team/others?.

"Hey boss, the dept. manager doesn't agree with this..."

You might start to spot trends like 2 applications being covered by 12 people, meanwhile you seem to be responsible for 10.  Somethings might be considered critical, but aren't officially supported - I bet those are the things you are working on ;) You can ask more informed questions, which are harder to duck.  Also, as they are more work related, ask at team meetings/in public, where it's more obvious if he evades the answer.

It takes a little time, but not much.  It's mostly information you can gather around the coffee machine, or in a few quick meetings with the right people.

You are being pro-active, constructive, non-confrontational and simultaneously ensuring you have a wealth of material should anyone ever try getting official on you for not having your laptop with you.  Check such docs don't already exist mind.

Managing your manager is hard, but pays dividends.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk