[Gllug] Help : Two basic problems

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Apr 16 15:24:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 03:48:17PM +0100, wendy carr wrote:
> Printing
> How do i share a printer which is connected to linux
> server with a linux desktop ?. I managed connecting
> between linux and windows machines using samaba but
> not among two linux pc's.
>
> Got any suggestions ?

Kind of depends what distribution you're using as to what the path of
least resistance will be.  Linux has a number of "native" printing
systems, and can also connect to Samba/Windows printers as well.

If the Linux server is already running Samba and already serving the
printer to Windows machines, then I would certainly try setting up the
Linux client to use the printer as if it was a Windows printer.
Depending on your distro there should be a nice graphical tool to make
this happen.

If this doesn't work or isn't applicable, then you need to start
investigating CUPS, which is (one of) the native Linux printing
systems.  Again, how you set this up depends on the distro.  On most
there will be a simple graphical tool that just does the job at both
ends.  If you want more help, you'll need to be more specific about
exactly what you're running.

Rich.

http://www.YouUnlimited.co.uk/ - management courses
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk