[Gllug] Mail sorting

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 12:23:44 UTC 2004

On Friday 16 Apr 2004 12:52, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 12:49:05PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The situation: fetchmail retrieves my email from an ISP's POP3 server
> > and drops it into my machine where I read it using IMAP (netscape if
> > anyone cares). I'm then sorting email into different server-side folders
> > using the client.
> >
> > This is quite ugly. I'd much prefer to do the sorting of messages on the
> > (IMAP) server, without troubling the client software. The goal here is
> > that every machine I use to look at my mail should see the same view,
> > and I shouldn't have to duplicate my sorting rules on every client
> > machine. I'm sure there's some clever thing I can do here, but I'm just
> > not familiar with what the various tools do. I didn't set up the server
> > either, but I can make changes to it.
> >
> > Should I be looking at fiddling the IMAP server, or some "other" tool
> > for this job?
>
> Sounds like procmail is what you want:
>
> http://www.procmail.org/
>
> Use fetchmail to call it (see man fetchmail and search for procmail).

If your fetchmail is delivering to the localhost SMTP server (ie postfix,
sendmail etc.) then, often, mail is delivered via procmail anyway.
In that case, all you need is to set up a .procmailrc file in your home
directory with the rules you want for your filtering.

see the procmail, procmailrc, procmailex man pages.

SteveH
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk