[Gllug] Sharing NTL broadband using weedless router

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Mon Apr 26 13:23:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:44:46PM +0100, Benjamin Edwards wrote:
> Where I have moved to someone in the house has NTL and they wish to
> share the connection.  I have a NETGEAR weedless router/ADSL modem.
>
> So I figure connect the NTL Broadband modem thingy to the weedless
> router and disable the modem bit of my router.  Has anyone tried this. I
> am not exactly sure how to do this because I have no experience of cable
> modems (only ADSL).  I noticed that when using windows you have to run a
> program to authenticate the connection but I figure Mac Spoofing (which
> I think the router can do) should sort this, also not quite sure how to
> get the router to use the NTL box as a gateway.
>
> Has anyone out there connected a NTL Modem to a router/switch/hub?

If you're not using the modem part of the router then it's just a switch, so
it doesn't need to know which is the gateway, it's the other things on the
subnet that need to know that.  I figure the wireless access point part is
in bridging mode, so it's basically the same for wireless clients too.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk