[Gllug] Collaboration and Directory Services

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Tue Apr 20 17:08:14 UTC 2004

Dear GLLUG,

Sat on the tube coming back from the expo I'm pondering on a few things.

I spoke to RedHat, SUSE and Novell today and asked them all a fairly
similar question about Open Source collaboration servers and directory
services.

All were very helpful but none really gave me the answer I was hoping for.
Where are these OSS solutions?

Directory Services: OpenLDAP, NIS. Both great systems but neither really
have the management interfaces available to compare against AD, NDS,
eDirectory

Collaboration Servers: OpenExchange, roll your own mail server (SMTP
daemon, IMAP daemon, Maybe LDAP)

OpenExchange has proprietary components but otherwise looks good on paper
(I'm going to give it a test run soon), roll your own is probably the most
satisfying from a geek point of view but isn't good when deploying multiple
servers in an organisation

Also the shared calendar and contact management isn't really there.

The closest I've come to a complete solution is opengroupware.org but I
haven't really seen it touted anywhere, or included on major distributions.

What are your thoughts?

Also the Novell guy told me that NDS would be available in the next release
of (whatever he called it) on a Linux kernel. Bet it isn't open sourced
though!

SM

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk