[Gllug] Internet dial-up scam

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Apr 6 19:34:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Chris Bell wrote:

>    I have just been listening to BBC Watchdog who are reporting that a new
> dial-up scam is putting a virus on PCs causing them to repeatedly connect
> and disconnect to premium rate phone numbers, knocking up huge phone bills
> which are difficult to disprove.

It's not a new one. This has popped up again and again over the past three
or four years.

There are several variants on the idea (ie, either a virus or an offer
that's "too good to be true" leading to the user clicking and the app
being installed).

This is something that ICSTIS have failed to address time and time again.
They are responsible for licening premium rate services and policing the
industry yet they never act so as to really penalise anyone who takes the
piss.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £23.75 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk