[Gllug] natwest fantasticness

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Apr 6 19:13:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 17:30, Stephen Harker wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 Apr 2004 16:49, John Winters wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 10:58, Stephen Harker wrote:
> > > And
> > > while we're at it, why do switch cards have your sort code and bank
> > > account number printed on the front. How stupid is that??
> >
> > Not particularly.  Your sort code and account number are not very
> > secret.  They're printed on every cheque you issue.
>
> I don't issue cheques...

OK, maybe you don't, but it still doesn't matter.  Your sort code and
account number are not meant to be terribly confidential information,
any more than your name is.

What *is* actually odd is how little data was confidential on original
issue Switch cards.  For Midland cards it was just the issue number
(typically 1 digit!) and expiry date, whilst NatWest had just that plus
a (n algorithmically calculable) check digit.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk