[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Apr 16 09:19:20 UTC 2004

It sounds like you need to turn off system services.  A typical "out
of the box" Linux machine starts up dozens of useless services, most
of which can be turned off and you'll never notice.

KDE 3.1 is dog slow to start up though, I'll admit.  Use fvwm or wmx
instead - these start up in under a second.

For OSX I currently prefer Firefox 0.8, which is very quick and light.
In fact I'd use it all the time if it wasn't for the fact that all my
bookmarks and passwords are in Safari.

Rich.

MONOLITH is an advanced framework for writing web applications in C, easier
than using Perl & Java, much faster and smaller, reusable widget-based arch,
database-backed, discussion, chat, calendaring:
http://www.annexia.org/freeware/monolith/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk