[Gllug] [OT ?] Filesystem ACLs

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Aug 11 11:31:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, David Irvine mused:
> You could use chattr +a on the file, if you just want to append it,
> useful for logfiles.

I used to chattr a number of logfiles that way: but when I moevd to the
kernel NFS server (this was back in the Linux 2.2 days), it turned out
that you couldn't even read such files over NFS. (I'd not expect to be
able to write to them.)

This may or may not still be the case: I haven't checked since 2.2.18
was new :)

--
`The copyright file is for everyone.  That we make it available in
 plain-text, uncompressed form rather than in spinning, throbbing

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk