[Gllug] Why does X ignore my keyboard settings?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Aug 25 15:08:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 09:44, Frank Scott wrote:
> The only difference I have for my UK keyboard Debian Sarge m/c is the addition of
>
>    Option      "XkbVariant"   "gb"
>
> in the keyboard stanza

Very odd.  I've tried all the suggestions and the stanza now reads:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "en-GB"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "gb"
EndSection

but it still insists on working in American mode.  The text mode
consoles (Ctrl-Alt-F1) work fine in English mode, including the pound
sterling sign which is usually a struggle in both text and X. However,
within X the system insists on pretending it has an American keyboard.

The relevant bit of the XFree86 startup log says:

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
(==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Generic Monitor"
(**) |   |-->Device "Generic Video Card"
(**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) XKB: model: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "en-GB"
(**) XKB: layout: "en-GB"
(**) Option "XkbVariant" "gb"
(**) XKB: variant: "gb"
(==) Keyboard: CustomKeycode disabled
(**) |-->Input Device "Configured Mouse"
(**) |-->Input Device "Generic Mouse"

So it's using the config file I think it is, and it can see the relevant
clauses, but it just seems to ignore them.

Anyone any more suggestions about why X would refuse to contemplate
anything other than an American keyboard?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk