[Gllug] ipod and Linux

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 19:11:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 13:50, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> I see a number of projects for controlling and uploading to ipods on
> sourceforge.
>
> A friend of mine *really* wants a pink ipod, rather than an iriver that
> will play a lot more formats and acts as USB mass storage device.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of the ipods with Linux, how compatible
> are they and is it going to be easy(ish) to upload music to an ipod?

GTKPod (nice GUI) or GnuPod (scripts):-

http://gtkpod.sourceforge.net/
http://www.blinkenlights.ch/cgi-bin/fm.pl?get=ipode

GTKPod can only add non-protected AAC files (*.m4a), so if you get
DRM'ed crap from the iTunes store, you should use Hymn to strip off the
DRM information, and leave you with the more useful format:-

http://hymn-project.org/

I've never personally used an iPod, but at first glance it seems like
there's enough support to be able to use one more or less pleasantly,
and Codeweavers even support iTunes these days. I do think the iRiver is
technically superior, but I'd guess if your friend wants a pink iPod
they're probably a fan of Apple's design, which I'm forced to admit is
probably better than anyone else's.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk