[Gllug] Debian Xfree problem

David Irvine maillist at glasgownet.com
Sun Aug 8 23:06:19 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 23:41, NorthLondon John wrote

> But I can't work out if Debian has an Xfree config tool. I was under
> the impression that apt-get allowed one to sort configurations for
> software - true or no?
>
> Anyway, pointers appreciated.

Hi.

You can use - dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 which will re-run the
debian configuration scripts and allow you to change the screen
resolution.

Generally the cause of this problem is that your hardware does not scale
the display.

You could try editing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and changing the default
screen res.

If all else fails, you may want to try XFree86 -configure which will try
to get the best settings automagically.

HTH

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk