[Gllug] Bittorrent and security?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 23 17:35:45 UTC 2004

On Mon 23 Aug, Richard Hall wrote:

> I think they are only distributing the CD images of the main releases
> with BT as it is almost impossible to manage the file concurrency across
>   a multi peer system like BT.   A new torrent would need to be created
> and a completely different CD image seeded daily to keep up with the
> nightly builds.  This would lead to not many people seeding the
> appropriate image as they would be seeding an out of date one within
> 24h, possibly before they even finished downloading it.
>
> That's why they are pushing Jigdo for the nightly images.

   Is it not possible to just pull in the missing bits with Bittorrent? I am
so used to doing this with the combination of Jigdo and apt-proxy, but the
weekly Sarge - Testing CD set has not been updated for a couple of weekends.
I understand that they are rebuilding the complete set from scratch and
hoping to release the stable version 3.1 soon afterwards.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk