[Gllug] external hard drive recommendations

Fasih Rehman fudo at fudonet.net
Tue Aug 3 20:35:33 UTC 2004

Hi Stuart,

You could just buy an enclosure and any drive you feel like.
http://www.firewiredirect.com is good place to look, however I never
could find reliable UK reseller info (I'm talking at least 18 months
back.). I needed an enclosure for a DVD Writer, so I could move it
between my Linux box and a Mac. I came across ADS Tech who sell a
retail kit, at the time it was Firewire only, the newer ones also have
USB2 support.

http://www.adstech.com/products/DLX185/intro/DLX185intro.asp?pid=DLX185

These are widely available Dabs, Insight etc. I bought a second one
some months later for housing a 120GB disk. Both units works fine under
FC2, and also on RH9 prior to me switching to FC, so I guess RHEL will
be fine as well.

If you don't like the idea of assembling one yourself then the Maxtor
drives do work, I use them at work however we have the older ones
without One Touch. The drives will work fine, however I don't think One
Touch feature will work since Maxtor have written a special driver.
Then again I won't be surprised if there is a kernel patch somewhere.
The Lacie portable range are also very desirable however I haven't used
one on a Linux box, only a Mac.

Hope this is some what helpful.

Fasih

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk