[Gllug] Gnome Vs Kde Vs

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Aug 28 19:11:46 UTC 2004

[wrapped to 72 cols]
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Peter Childs stated:
>     Hang on gnome is based on the Gtk greaphics library orignally
>     written for Gimp. Right?
>
>     This library has a tendency for C hence most gnome packages are
>     written in C.

The presence of excellent C++ and Python APIs to Gtk and Gnome for
*ages* tends to damage your argument. :)

>     Early on we in my project we looked at using Gtk and Gnome and
>     deceided that that it was too much like hard work.

It's a hell of a lot simpler than Xlib :)

>     Gnome unlike KDE is a lose collection of programs that "work
>     together" giving each application the freedom to use want they
>     need to get the job done, its a communication infastructor. from
>     the developer point of view.

I wish! Alas, they're not giving people any freedom in the area of user
interfaces: oh no, anything that looks like an option must be torn
out and left partially undocumented in a GConf setting, otherwise it
might `confuse the users'.

I used to be a major GNOME fan, but they've gone so lowest-common-
denominator that I now think they're effectively unusable by anyone who
wants a user environment that adapts to *them* rather than vice versa.

--
`The copyright file is for everyone.  That we make it available in
 plain-text, uncompressed form rather than in spinning, throbbing

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk