[Gllug] Gnome Vs Kde Vs

Matthew King matthew.king at seamlessrecruitment.com
Tue Aug 31 13:51:22 UTC 2004

Nix wrote:
> I wish! Alas, they're not giving people any freedom in the area of user
> interfaces: oh no, anything that looks like an option must be torn
> out and left partially undocumented in a GConf setting, otherwise it
> might `confuse the users'.
>
> I used to be a major GNOME fan, but they've gone so lowest-common-
> denominator that I now think they're effectively unusable by anyone who
> wants a user environment that adapts to *them* rather than vice versa.

I feel the same. I don't even remember what was removed now, but it was
when Galeon went from Gtk 1 to 2 that I started to lose faith in Gnome.

I've found that a good solution, simple as it may sound, is to replace
metacity with fvwm (see http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/faq/#2.8) and
then start getting rid of the more irritating Gnome app[let]s.

I did this myself yesterday (having moved from pure fvwm to Gnome a long
time ago) and it is *very* nice.

Bear in mind that fvwm takes a lot of configuration and (unfortunately?
Not.) there's no GUI with which to do so, so you'll have to write your
~/.fvwm2rc yourself. I have a more-or-less working one if anyone wants it.

Well, OK it doesn't really solve the
Gnome-is-designed-for-people-that-can't-use-MacOS problem, but it's
still quite funky and I thought I'd let people know all the same.

Matthew

--
o? K++ w--- O-- M V? PS+>+++ PE-- Y+>++ PGP++@ t+ 5- X- R tv b+++>++++
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk