[Gllug] Badblocks indicates disc is OK?...

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue Aug 10 16:02:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Andre Newman wrote:

>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, John Winters wrote:
>>
><snip>
>
>I've got a 120GB maxtor in much the same state, died while I was imaging
>the drive on a hot afternoon. Sadly I discovered that the warranty was out
>on my drive despite being 4 months old (bought out warranty), won't be
>buying hardrives at a computer fair again, not without checking the
>warranty before parting with cash anyway.

What makes you think it was out of warranty? Was it explicitly sold "as
is"? In that case, you shouldn't have bought it unless it was for pennies.

Stuff bought from computer fairs are covered by the same consumer
safeguards as regular retail or mail order goods. If it doesn't work, you
have legal recourse for getting compensation.

>I have a Maxtor error code from their software but it'n not going to do me
>any good, I've never seen the trader again either. :-(

You mean you didn't get a receipt with their address on it? Tut, tut.

>> You should run a smartctl selftest on the disk.
>>
>> smartclt -a /dev/whatever  to print out the information from the disk
>>
>> smartctl -X /dev/whatever to run an extended test
>
>I was going to bin the disk but maybe I'll try this first.
>
>btw has anyone else noticed that "regular" IDE drives don't last when left
>on all the time? I've just bought a couple of Maxline 2 250GB drives to
>replace the cooked 120GB, 3 year warranty (I checked) and a 1 million
>hours mtbf!! Not much more expensive.

That's one reason why SCSI disks are more expensive. They're designed for
constant use (other reasons are performance and general higher markup
based on the target market.)

If you're mirroring disks, use two different disk models, as a specific
failure in a particular model could hit both drives around the same time.

>Andre

Christian

--
    /"\