[Gllug] Badblocks indicates disc is OK?...

Andre Newman andre at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Aug 10 22:51:44 UTC 2004

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Andre Newman wrote:

> What makes you think it was out of warranty? Was it explicitly sold "as

I checked the warranty on Maxtor's website against the serial number, very
useful facility except that it shows my drive as having 3 months warranty.

> is"? In that case, you shouldn't have bought it unless it was for pennies.

It was cheap, I hadn't been keeping track of prices so just assumed things
had gotten cheaper again.

> Stuff bought from computer fairs are covered by the same consumer
> safeguards as regular retail or mail order goods. If it doesn't work, you
> have legal recourse for getting compensation.

Absolutely, see note about receipt below :-((

>>I have a Maxtor error code from their software but it'n not going to do
>> me
>>any good, I've never seen the trader again either. :-(
>

> You mean you didn't get a receipt with their address on it? Tut, tut.

I certainly did get a receipt, sadly I cannot find it now I need it :-(

Normally the Maxtor direct RMA system seems really good, a friend had a
disk fail after a week, the supplier offered to replace but suggested the
website for a faster replacement. If you give them a CC number they will
do advance replacement, which means you have the packaging to ship back
and in my friends case (intermittent problem) he was able to rescue some
of his data as well.

Regards

Andre
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk