[Gllug] Badblocks indicates disc is OK?...

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Aug 11 16:08:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 20:16, George F. Saxby wrote:
> Hi,
>  If you bought the item and 4 months later it dies you still
> have dealer warranty as consumer law

That's not a warranty - just a legal requirement that the goods are fit
for purpose.  A warranty is something that gives you extra rights over
and above your legal rights.  (The law states quite specifically that
the vendor cannot remove any of the legal requirements.)

> (providing you can back it up
> with a bill/ credit card transaction. )

You don't actually need to be able to back it up with a bill.  Provided
you can demonstrate (or the vendor simply accepts) that you bought it
from there you're fine.  Obviously a receipt is a particularly easy and
convenient way of demonstrating it.

> I find it hard to believe that you bought a drive that
> was already 3 years old at the time of purchase that was "new"

I don't think he said it was new.  The warranty on Maxtor drives is in
any case generally only 12 months.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk