[Gllug] E-Mail to SMS Advice

Robert P. McKenzie rmckenzi at rpmdp.com
Tue Aug 17 10:04:24 UTC 2004

Mario wrote:

> Hello fellow enthusiasts...
>
> This is my first post to the list, so I hope I have a decent query.
>
> I am looking to introduce an SMS alert for the IT guys in my team at work.
>
> Initially I will be monitoring the messages file for system temperature
> warnings on some of my systems as we have been experiencing some
> problems with our cooling systems recently.  Further down the line I
> would like to turn this little project into a full-blown real-time alert
> system.
>

> Ideally I would like to send an E-mail similar to:  <mobile
> number>@sms-gateway.co.uk.  I have found some commercially available
> services but am interested in finding out about any Linux-based
> solutions available.

There are 2 things I use to sending SMS messages.  I have an SMS modem connected
to my Linux box and use Gammu (http://freshmeat.net/projects/gammu/) to sending
(and receiving) SMS's.  I'm using a dedicated SMS GSM Modem, but you can get by
very nicely with just about any serial connected mobile phone. I'd recommend
nokia's for this task as they are generally more stable (yeah yeah I'm sure I'll
get it in the neck for that, however it's true), and very cheap.  At my last
place they got a free Nokia 6310i with serial cable and great SMS contract with
O2 .. something like 500 SMS a month then only like 1 or 2p each after that.  I
have also written a crappy little perl script that will process incoming SMS's
to the modem and act on them based on the format.  I can have it forwarded by
email to whoever I specify in the SMS, send a fax to the number I give, or even
issue system commands.

Another option if you don't want to do all that and you just want a very simple
and cost effective email to SMS service, I also use http://www.fax.co.uk .. it
costs me £ 5.00/mth and the first £ 5.00 of usage are included in the monthly
fee, and you can send email to SMS and FAXes anywhere in the world.  The rates
are good and never had it fail in just over a year.

--
Robert P. McKenzie                 |   GammaRay Technical Services Ltd
rmckenzi at rpmdp.com                 |             rob at gammaray-tech.com
http://www.uk-experience.com       |      http://www.gammaray-tech.com
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk