[Gllug] [OT] gmail invites

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Aug 30 07:36:16 UTC 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Sarah Ewen wrote:

> Um they are invites to get an account with gmail, an email
> service which is currently only open to those with invites.
>
> The attractve thing is that they offer 1GB of space, which
> beats yahoo et al hands down, despite their instant upgrades
> to their own services.
>
> The interface is nice. It's showered with useful keyboard shortcuts,
> works with many browsers and is powered by their search tool
> for reading archived data. The 'label' approach replaces folders,
> allowing users to sort their mail using more than one axis of
> mental connotation.
>
> I like it almost as much as my hard drive!

Yesterday I saw an announcement for GmailFS - a new filesystem for Linux
that uses your Gmail account for storage supporting most commonly used
features of a filesystem.

This could provide just what people need in terms of mobile storage.
The idea of having gmailfs as your home directory has a lot of potential -
imagine a Knoppix type live-CD distribution which prompts you to login
using your GMail credentials and automatically mounts your homedir if you
are online.

Jason
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   ADSL Broadband from just £22.50 / month

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk