[Gllug] How to set umask

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Aug 1 20:01:18 UTC 2004

>I'm assuming it's not something silly like you're not using bash...

>Try to put the "umask 022" into ~/.bashrc (see bottom of "man bash" for
>list of files).

>> Prey tell, what is the mystery of setting the default umask?

>You can use /etc/profile for a system-wide default, though if you have
>existing users on the box they might get a surprise if you change it.

>Stig

Only /etc/bashrc makes mention of umask so I commented out:

if ["`id -gn`" = "`id -un`" -a `id -u` -gt 99]; then
  umask 002
else
  umask 022
fi

... and replaced it with :

umask 022

It worked at next login but I'm sure there's a hidden catch :-( as I haven't
a clue what the if,else condition refers to. Still can't work out why my
.bash_profile and .bashrc entries didn't over-ride this setting.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk