[Gllug] How to set umask

Stig Brautaset stig at brautaset.org
Sun Aug 1 19:36:10 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 08:14:37PM +0100, Garry Heaton wrote:
> Fedora Core 1
>
> "Hacking Linux Exposed" says that to set my umask to 022 all I have to do is
> add this line to ~/.bash_profile
>
> umask 022
>
> Tried it, but the command `umask' still shows the old value of 0002 after
> logging in. I also tried the variant:

I'm assuming it's not something silly like you're not using bash...

Try to put the "umask 022" into ~/.bashrc (see bottom of "man bash" for
list of files).

> Prey tell, what is the mystery of setting the default umask?

You can use /etc/profile for a system-wide default, though if you have
existing users on the box they might get a surprise if you change it.

Stig
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk