[Gllug] Re: Firewall hardware

Richard Ibbotson richard at sheflug.co.uk
Sat Aug 28 09:36:36 UTC 2004

Mike

> I've always found fans to be one of the more problematic bits actually.
> I've had two separate incidents of inexplicably crashing servers that
> turned out to be intermittent fan problems causing CPU overheat.

Yes.  On a personal level I've got five fans on the shelf for my own
domestic firewall/router.  I found it was the best way of future
proofing some old 100Mhz i386 hardware.  I got round to the scrap
computer philosophy for firewalls eventually but they do make a lot of
noise.  Find a hard disk in a skip somewhere. A board that's been thrown
away.  And, so forth.

Best to think ahead :)

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk