[Gllug] Re: Firewall hardware

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 28 09:57:10 UTC 2004

On Sat 28 Aug, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> Yes.  On a personal level I've got five fans on the shelf for my own
> domestic firewall/router.  I found it was the best way of future
> proofing some old 100Mhz i386 hardware.  I got round to the scrap
> computer philosophy for firewalls eventually but they do make a lot of
> noise.  Find a hard disk in a skip somewhere. A board that's been thrown
> away.  And, so forth.
>
> Best to think ahead :)
>

> Richard

   I recently gave up trying to oil a fan, replaced it with another
second-hand fan, then pulled the old one apart. It was simply full of dust
which I could have washed out easily with some washing up liquid and water,
a quick test showed that it would not have rusted. It was a specially
modified fan, (one corner hacked off and the power connections reversed),
but the replacement worked as well after the mods.

   Another source of failure is the loop-through power supply lead to
provide the fan with power. The fan often works, but the power loop-on
fails, so the hard drive starts showing errors.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk