[Gllug] Phone unlocking

Ashley Evans ashley at seamlessrecruitment.com
Mon Aug 2 14:48:24 UTC 2004

Richard Jones wrote:

>People like: http://www.unlock123.com will apparently allow me to
>unlock my Orange Nokia phone (not that I've used them, nor am I
>recommending them).
>
>You type in the IMEI, phone model, and crucially your credit card
>number, and it gives you a number that you tap into the phone.
>
>This suggests that there's a simple algorithm involved for converting
>IMEI + model -> code.  Is this so?  Is there free software out there
>for doing this?
>
>Rich.

With it being so hot in the office I have not got too much of an
inclination to do "real" work atm so I decided to start a
mini-investigation.  No conclusions so far and I'm waiting for Orange
(notorious "lockers") to get back to me, preferably with the algorithm
itself, however, this is unlikly. As I spoke with a gentleman in the
Press Office there is a 99.9% chance that I won't be called back :)

I orginally contacted various Nokia telephone numbers abut this but was
informed that the locking is added to the phone (firmware, I presume) by
the network operators themselves. Not sure if this really is the case.

Maybe my first question should be "Does, fundementally, this algorithm
require you credit card number?"

Ashley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk