[Gllug] apt-get problem (removing gnome-games)

Ashley Evans ashley at seamlessrecruitment.com
Tue Aug 17 14:30:21 UTC 2004

NorthLondon John wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the answers to my previous apt-get question about
> configuring xfree.
>
> Now, here's another one: I'm trying to remove all the games bundled in
> with the Gnome and KDE desktops. KDE was simple enough to deal with,
> but when I try
> apt-get remove gnome-games
> it wants to remove  gnome and gnome-desktop-environment as well.
>
> Surely gnome can't depend on the games?
> Am I missing something here?
>
> TIA
>
> John

As doug said, gnome and gnome-desktop-environment are meta packages and
themselves can probably be removed.

You could maybe suggest to Debian's GNOME package maintainers that this
dependency could/should be removed to at least bring it in line with KDE
(or vice versa).

Maybe for situations like this the meta package could contain a script
to ask you which packages you actually want to install. Or, if you use
meta packages you can just live with the package maintainers' decisions ;-)

Ashley
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk