[Gllug] apt-get problem (removing gnome-games)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 16:02:42 UTC 2004

On Tue 17 Aug, Ashley Evans wrote:

> NorthLondon John wrote:
>

> > Now, here's another one: I'm trying to remove all the games bundled in
> > with the Gnome and KDE desktops. KDE was simple enough to deal with,
> > but when I try
> > apt-get remove gnome-games
> > it wants to remove  gnome and gnome-desktop-environment as well.
> >
> > Surely gnome can't depend on the games?
> > Am I missing something here?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > John
> >
> As doug said, gnome and gnome-desktop-environment are meta packages and
> themselves can probably be removed.
>
> You could maybe suggest to Debian's GNOME package maintainers that this
> dependency could/should be removed to at least bring it in line with KDE
> (or vice versa).

   I think that there were comments about this amongst the Debian new
installer development team, the usual answer is that they only write the
installer, they pass comments and requests to other package maintainers but
they try not to modify original packages any more than they really need to.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk