[Gllug] Phone unlocking

Ashley Evans ashley at seamlessrecruitment.com
Mon Aug 2 15:36:54 UTC 2004

Holger Duerer wrote:

>  [...]
>
>    Ashley> I orginally contacted various Nokia telephone numbers abut
>    Ashley> this but was informed that the locking is added to the
>    Ashley> phone (firmware, I presume) by the network operators
>    Ashley> themselves. Not sure if this really is the case.
>
>This does not sound right.  The algorithm seems to be independent of
>the actual operator with the exception that you need to identify the
>operator (unless there are only a handful of algorithms and internally
>the program uses a lookup table from operator to algorithm).
>
>I remember that in 2000 Virgin had trouble with unlocking of Siemens
>S25's (Virgin was very easygoing with unlocking back then and would
>give you the details over the phone on demand).  The problem was that
>Siemens did not deliver the unlocking codes in time.  From that I
>conclude the that manufacturer produces the codes and that the
>operators at least in some cases don't know the actual algorithm.
>
>          Holger

On further reading of UnlockMe.co.uk what you say seems to be the case.
Nokia do program the codes themselves. The interesting question is why
are Nokia interested in having the phones locked to a particular network?

It's plain to see why the network operators would want to but I can't
really see why Nokia would.

Ashley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk