[Gllug] Firewall hardware

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Sat Aug 28 20:13:08 UTC 2004

Garry Heaton wrote:

>Any suggestions for a cheap, small, compact box for turning into an OpenBSD
>or IPtables firewall?

I noticed that linitx.com (mentioned elsewhere) are doing flashcard/ide
converters for under 20 quid, and an IPCop 1.3.0 card for 29 quid plus vat.

Thus a mechanical driveless-system beckons. The psu fan on the old
p133/166mmx is v. quiet and is mostly off (it was an advanced design for
its era, I've kept another one back as spare).

Any views on an IPCop? Also how does one tweak the config on a flashcard
- settings etc.? I do turn the firewall and server off at night to save
on the lekky, which adds up in a home system as a %% of the annual
energy bills otherwise.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk