[Gllug] Firewall hardware

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Sat Aug 28 21:59:50 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 21:13, M.Blackmore wrote:
> Garry Heaton wrote:
>
> >Any suggestions for a cheap, small, compact box for turning into an OpenBSD
> >or IPtables firewall?
> >
> I noticed that linitx.com (mentioned elsewhere) are doing flashcard/ide
> converters for under 20 quid, and an IPCop 1.3.0 card for 29 quid plus vat.
>
> Thus a mechanical driveless-system beckons. The psu fan on the old
> p133/166mmx is v. quiet and is mostly off (it was an advanced design for
> its era, I've kept another one back as spare).

you could also use one of those passivly cooled celerons or PIIs, they
were about 350/400mhz (pga370) so are well up to the task.

> Any views on an IPCop? Also how does one tweak the config on a flashcard
> - settings etc.? I do turn the firewall and server off at night to save
> on the lekky, which adds up in a home system as a %% of the annual
> energy bills otherwise.

if it uses compact flash cards, then it will simply treat it as a hard
disk, they are ata compatible and you can partition and boot from them
easily, they will probably give you a 256mb one as they are fairly
inexpensive.

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk