[Gllug] Gnome Vs Kde Vs

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Thu Aug 26 14:30:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 13:58, Amias Channer wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:20:26 +0100
> Richard Huxton <dev at archonet.com> wrote:
> As a gnome user i'd say i use it for pretty window management (for
> xterms) and softer looking fonts more than any of the other bits .
> KDEhas always felt a bit too noisy for my liking .
> Its a very good thing we can make the choice though .
>
> I'd like to see even more integration between the two projects and the
> development of more standards and parallels. I wonder how well a super-api
> that handled abstractions to either environment would go down , it would
> be a great thing in my book.

sounds like a plan (but it does sound like it would be huge),

the reason the the linux/unix way is so powerful and extensible is
because largely of the power of the shell. Nowdays there are many
varieties of this amazing text mode glue, but no so for GUIs. It 'is'
possible to stick together several apps that can play nice with the
shell or already know about each other, but it never puts them together
as well as you could if they were command line apps. Maybe the whole
Enlightenment E17 'desktop shell' idea is along these lines?

Ian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk