[Gllug] Writing C

Jason jason at jasonsgems.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 10:03:41 UTC 2004

Quoting "Nordlund, Niko" <Niko.Nordlund at storaenso.com>:

Hi Niko,

the software you were asking about is pretty much standard on Linux.  Every
distribution will have them on it  (unlike W5s  - fancy that you have to BUY a
SQL database or compiler seperately, and they don't even give you the source
code to the OS!!!)

> SQL. I would need a SQL database engine that is, stable, can handle large
> databases (> 2GB), easily extendible with own functions (at least postgreSQL
> supports dynamic loading of functions written in c)

AS well as postgress you have MYSQL which you can also write functions for in C
and load them in.  This will most likely be included in any distro you choose.
This is the database that powers so much of the web.

> Graphical interface for developing and administering the SQL database.

Lots of GUI's available, including phpMyAdmin which is a web interface to
administer the MySQL Server

> C. As indicated above I would need to do a bit of C coding to get my
> functions available within SQL. I have some experience in using VB, but I
> would like to move over to C. Any suggestions which editor and compiler
> would be easy to learn? Preferably a nice GUI. I would also need to pass
> data to and from a database. Also, recommendations on what C-books to read
> are welcome.

Linux comes with gcc suite of compilers as standard so you can have C, C++,
Fortran, Pascal, etc.  In fact as standardard loads of languages come with
linux (ruby, modula-2, forth, ada, basic, java).
Asking about editors is likely to start a vi/emacs war.  But you also have IDEs
such as KDevelop.

> Intranet tools to SQL. We are, at the moment, using VB to pass info between
> our intranet pages and SQL. What would be the easiest Open Source way of
> doing this?

For using the intranet pages to access the database, you have a choice - usually
php, perl or even python.  You can also use JSP/Java.  I suppose you could even
set up the system to use Gambas (a BASIC language) to work as a CGI so you
could port your scripts accross instead  of having to completely rewrite them
(although I'm not too sure about this).  All of these languages are open source
(well, except Java) and will come with any distro you choose.

As I said, all these will be included in virtually any distro, so grab one and
have a go...

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk