[Gllug] WTF!! More nfs woes - write permission denied on 2 of 3 dirs that previously worked.

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Sun Aug 22 23:44:07 UTC 2004

HELP! I'm being shouted at by the wife over this one. Two out of three
nfs exports to the desktop from the venerable pII server will not allow
me to write. In a terminal I'm warned of a read only filesystem, in a
kde filer it just says cannot write.

I rejigged the directory structure on the desktop for the nfs exports to
make it a lot neater, scrupulously set permissions with recursive mode
for the local machine target for the nfs client. These and the
permissions on the fileserver have been checked a dozen times, chown and
chmoded run a score times I bet by now.

The target directories were to be /home/a-user/Documents (following the
Suse 9.0 default for documents); ~/houses and ~/public_html (another
suse default directory). These all were working fine before.

As far as I can tell all the target directories and the server
directories are exactly the same user, group IDs and the same
permissions (run now multiple times carefully coordinated).

BUT only one directory - ~/houses - is allowing writes. ~/Documents and
~/public_html are not allowing writes tho' I can see what is there.
Which end is the problem - server or client? How can there still be
permissions restrictions on filesystems that have been repeatedly
chmoded and chowned from root?

This is urgent to sort out - wife works from home! - so please if anyone
can give me an idea as to what the hell is going on with this write problem!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk