[Gllug] Why does X ignore my keyboard settings?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Aug 24 19:55:51 UTC 2004

I've set up a fresh install of Debian Sarge for my work box and have a
really odd problem with X.  I chose "gb" for the keyboard but the system
insists on treating it as a "us" keyboard.  Snippet from config file:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "gb"
EndSection

which is the same as I have on my other boxes, and yet all the crucial
keys come up in their American positions and not where they should.  The
startup log for X says it is using gb layout - what else would stop it
from doing what it says it's doing?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk