[Gllug] .bash_profile & .bashrc

Andrew Black (li) andrew-li at black1.org.uk
Mon Aug 30 08:02:30 UTC 2004

Hi
I am confused between the files - .bash_profile & .bashrc
I am trying to put some customised alias and $PATH etc and am finding things
are different between a Konsole session and an SSH session.

What is the rationale for putting things into either file.

On related point, if I want soemthing to be defined for all users, is it
legit to create  it to a file in  the directory /etc/profile.d.
I have done this and it works but it appears tobe called twice (so if you
add to $PATH it happens twice :-( )

I am using Mandrake 9 if that is relevant

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk