[Gllug] Linux vs Unix

Chanka A. Perera chanka at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 02:53:34 UTC 2004

hi,

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:20:42 +0100, Bavington, Carl
<carl.bavington at ca.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to find some useful comparison info between Linux, (I'm
> running RH3AS) and other enterprise class variants (HP-UX, Solaris AIX
> etc)

i'm currently working on a www.ascentialsoftware.com projects where we
work on almost all the UNIX flavours (Linux AS, AIX,
Tru64,HPUX,Solaris), Though it's in to data warehousing  we use most
of the commercial databases like Oracle,Sybase,Infomix,db2 etc. etc..
what i see the different with other vendor specific UNIX's and Linux
is that almost all of the UNIX's are deliver with there HW which they
optimize there OS to it and also get DB's and other commercial
software vendor supports to run th ire app on respective OS.

But when think of performance we can't say that when you run
commercial app on UNIX it's perform than on Linux because i have
installed (eg: RHEL 3.0 on Dell PowerEdge 2650) and optimize it by
adding kernel parameters and all  run vendor specific DB's and other
app smoothly, but what i want to say is first of all you have to make
sure you HW 100% compatible with the version of Linux you are install
else you have to make it work before proceed by adding correct kernel
module/driver.

> >From what I can gather the threading improvements in the 2.4 kernel
> makes significant inroads on the performance of Enterprise databases
> e.g. Ingres / Oracle etc

when think about RHEL 3.0  http://www.redhat.com/apps/isv_catalog/
have good support
but i have seen some incompatibly on installing older version of
software on 3.0 like informix/oracle 9 where official installation
doesn't support because of java/glibc problems with never ntpl kernel.
but there are some work around that you can do to solve these
problems,

> Has anyone seen a good review recently of the 2.4 /2.6 kernel reviews
> against the other flavours? I'm wanting to find some Linux raving
> reviews by independents, but googles not been to helpful.

but RHEL still on 2.4 kernel tree i suppose but i'm very sure that 2.6
will rock the IT world :-)

regards,

Chanka Perera

http://www.linux.lk/~chanka