[Gllug] Linux vs Unix

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Aug 25 12:12:19 UTC 2004

"Bavington, Carl" writes:

>I'm trying to find some useful comparison info between Linux, (I'm
>running RH3AS) and other enterprise class variants (HP-UX, Solaris AIX
>etc)

If you're looking at enterprise databases, then TPC results are a good
indicator of how Linux stacks up against the commercial Unices:

	http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp

You'll notice Linux is on top of the pile of TPC-C at the moment (and
interestingly, Sun is nowhere to be seen). Other OSes (and databases)
are stronger in other areas (e.g., TPC-W). Look for a benchmark with
a similar workload to your expected usage, and compare the results
against the commercial Unices.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk