[Gllug] Computer Scrounge

farnsaw at stonedoor.com farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Tue Aug 3 08:47:40 UTC 2004

Quoting John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk>:

> Eeeek!  I wouldn't write off slower hardware so easily (or expect anyone
> to give me a 1 GHz box, which I'd still class as leading edge).

There have been several comments like this both directly and to the list and I
thought I would post a response.

First off, yes, sub-1 Ghz machines are still running just fine and handle
everything that needs to be done by most people without a problem.  However,
looking to the next 4-6 years it is very obvious to me that anything less than
a 1 Ghz computer with 256-512 RAM will start to show their limitations.  Since
this computer is going to be used by a family that has NEVER had a computer
before and probably will be doing NO upgrades to this hardware I feel it needs
to be fast enough to last them several years.  Also, the hardware needs to last
for as long as possible and while 400 Mhz machines are running along fine
today, they are several years older than a 1Ghz system and therefore that much
more likely to have a hardware fault that I will NOT be present to fix.

  There are many businesses who regularly dispose of (via rubbish tip, giving
away, or selling for very low £££ to their employees) systems that are 2
years
old or older as the service contract is over and buying a new service contract
is more expensive than buying a new computer with an included service contract.

I would like to re-iterate that I am not attempting to get someone to giveup
their leading machine, or even one that is being used regularly.  I was hoping
that several people would be willing to donate pieces and parts that would make
up a complete machine.

Andrew Farnsworth
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk