[Gllug] Computer Scrounge

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Aug 2 16:17:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 15:41, farnsaw at stonedoor.com wrote:
> If anyone
> has something along the lines of a 1 Ghz or faster machine
> (or at least not slower than 700 Mhz)

Eeeek!  I wouldn't write off slower hardware so easily (or expect anyone
to give me a 1 GHz box, which I'd still class as leading edge).

My Cyrix 200MX box with 128M of RAM is starting to feel a bit sluggish,
but the 500 MHz box (256M of RAM) on which I'm typing this is absolutely
fine running Gnome 2.6, Evolution, Firefox and OpenOffice.org.
Everything happens snappily and it doesn't even need to swap.

By all means make sure the box has plenty of RAM - it should be easy to
scrounge at least 256M of the right kind for the kind of vintage we're
talking about - but anything of, say, 400MHz or above is going to give
perfectly acceptable performance unless they're into gaming or graphics.

Just because the man in PC-World says you *need* 3.2GHz, you don't have
to believe him.  :-)

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk