[Gllug] Booting older x86 boards from a large ide disc

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 11:11:55 UTC 2004

On Tue 31 Aug, Russell Howe wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 08:17:15PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    The immediate problem has been sorted after I found an update to the
> > flash bios. It now even recognises the 120GB disc, the largest I can test it
> > with at present.
>
> The other option, if you really need the BIOS to recognise the full
> drive, and no updates for the onboard BIOS help would be to buy one of
> the PCI IDE controllers.
>
> AFAIK, they have their own BIOS which will be pretty modern, supporting
> all the various hacks defined over the years for getting around the
> limitations of the initial specs.
>
> Of course, some of these boards have somewhat experimental drivers in
> Linux, so you open a whole new kettle of fish.

   Yes, what I am trying to do is provide a fairly large amount of
reasonable speed storage space, spread over at least two drives, plus some
fast SCSI drives using the on-board LVD controller. I now have 120GB and
80GB IDE, plus over 70GB LVD SCSI, with some other LVD drives still in their
wrappings. Next job is to get the ethernet and SCSI driver modules loaded
before the e2fs and network checks stop the boot-up sequence. Not sure why
Debian wishes to switch to grub, but it always seems to give me more
problems than lilo ever did.

   Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk