[Gllug] Booting older x86 boards from a large ide disc

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 10:45:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 08:17:15PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>    The immediate problem has been sorted after I found an update to the
> flash bios. It now even recognises the 120GB disc, the largest I can test it
> with at present.

The other option, if you really need the BIOS to recognise the full
drive, and no updates for the onboard BIOS help would be to buy one of
the PCI IDE controllers.

AFAIK, they have their own BIOS which will be pretty modern, supporting
all the various hacks defined over the years for getting around the
limitations of the initial specs.

Of course, some of these boards have somewhat experimental drivers in
Linux, so you open a whole new kettle of fish.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk